Week 17
April 30, 2017
Amelia Island, Fernandina Beach, Florida, Fort Clinch, Forts, Government building, Military building, State Park, Third System Fort
Fort Clinch
May 1, 2017
Fort Pulaski, Georgia, National Park, Tybee Island

Old Forts

Dates Visited 04/18/2017

Fort Pulaski is a Third System fort located on Cockspur Island between Savannah and Tybee Island. Following the War of 1812 construction of Fort Pulaski started in 1829 and continued until 1847. Fort Pulaski was named in honor of Kazimierz Pulaski, a Polish soldier and military commander who fought in the American Revolution under the command of George Washington..


This vest was with my best buddy Steve Arnoldus when he can out for a weeks stay, we spend a couple of days in Savanna seeing the sights which included the trip to Pulaski

Fort Pulaski is significant as the Union Army successfully tested rifled cannon in combat against the Confederate Army, the success of which rendered brick fortifications obsolete.

Wooden pilings were sunk up to 70 feet into the mud to support an estimated 25,000,000 bricks.Walls are eleven feet thick and were thought to be impenetrable except by only the largest land artillery. On the morning of April 10, 1862 using 36 cannons, including the new James Rifled Cannon, Union troops began the bombardment of Fort Pulaski. The rifled projectiles could be accurately fired from 4 to 5 miles and within 30 hours, the new rifled cannon had breached one of the fort's corner walls. Shells now passed through the fort and starting striking the walls of the main powder magazine. Fearing the breach of the magazine Colonel Charles Olmstead reluctantly surrendered the fort. Only two soldiers, one Confederate and one Union, were injured in the attack. Olmstead's decision to surrender haunted him for decades.

Within six weeks of the surrender, Union forces repaired the Fort and all shipping in and out of Savannah ceased. The loss of Savannah as a viable Confederate port crippled the Southern war effort.

In an effort to save the old fort, the War Department finally declared Fort Pulaski a National Monument on October 15, 1924 by presidential proclamation of Calvin Coolidge. The monument was transferred from the War Department to the National Park Service on August 10, 1933. At that time repairs were started, when members of the Civilian Conservation Corps arrived on Cockspur Island and began rehabilitation of the fort.

Within 30 hours of the start of the Union attack the once thought impenetrable Fort Pulaski surrendered


The fort was garrisoned throughout the rest of the U.S. Civil War by Union forces. The breach in the southeastern angle was repaired within six weeks by the occupying Union forces. Fort Pulaski then became a Union prisoner of war camp and housed some 520 captured Confederate officers until July 1865. Thirteen of the prisoners died at Fort Pulaski and were buried across the moat from the north side of the demilune.

Fort Pulaski became a National Monument 15 Oct 1924 and was transferred from the War Department to the National Park Service 10 Aug 1933.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

error: Content is protected !!