We have visited Fort Pulaski a couple times during trips to North Carolina, it is a nice stop just outside Savannah, Georgia.
Fort Pulaski is a massive five sided masonry fort with walls between 7 to 11 feet thick and upto to 32 feet high. It took approximately 25 million bricks to complete the post. When completed in 1847 the fort could mount 146 cannons but by the start of the U.S. Civil War only 20 were in place.
The fort was garrisoned throughout the rest of the U.S. Civil War by Union forces. The breach in the southeastern angle was repaired within six weeks by the occupying Union forces. Fort Pulaski then became a Union prisoner of war camp and housed some 520 captured Confederate officers until July 1865. Thirteen of the prisoners died at Fort Pulaski and were buried across the moat from the north side of the demilune.
Two Endicott Period batteries were constructed north of the fort during the Spanish American War period but appear to never have been armed or garrisoned.
On the morning of April 10, 1862 Union forces asked for the surrender of the Fort to prevent needless loss of life. Colonel Charles H. Olmstead, commander of the Confederate garrison, rejected the offer. 30 hours later and after 5,275 shot and shell were fired against the fort Olmstead raised the white flag.
The quick reduction of Fort Pulaski took the world by surprise and signaled the end of the Third System Forts.